
The more I hear about pesticides, I wonder if I should buy organic? I read that our favorite fruits and veggies contain the highest amounts of pesticides.........should I be nervous? Do you buy organic, is it worth it? Everyone used to laugh at me for washing our produce with soap, maybe that isn't such a bad idea? Is it better to use a veggie-wash, if so, which one? Thanks for enlightening me!
7 comments:
Good questions. Wish I had the answers. I think thoses washes must have other things in them that might be harmful. Maybe I think too much.
Jaime, wih fruit you can soak them in a sink full of water with 1-2 lemons juiced into the water...and that helps. (then let the fruit air-dry on a dish towel--don't have to do bananas though)
Also there are all natural veggie rinses you can buy...call Whole Foods and find out if they carry any..then go check em out, or look up online.
i can honestly say that i have never thought to worry about it, but maybe i should. i actually make all of olive's baby food by boiling and blending fresh fruits/veggies, because then i know that they are safe and healthy. i actually thought i should probably buy organic when i make her food just in case. maybe i need to be more careful.
Thanks Gene, I knew YOU"D have some answers.
Annie, how do you make her food? I was going to make Benjamin's but life got too busy. I am so proud of you!
The fruit wash I buy has grapefruit extract in it which cuts the waxes. The lenoms should do the same thing. I'll bet vinegar would do it, too!
I totally buy organic these days. With Brons' sensitivity to food coloring, artificial anything & additives I just don't mess around anymore. Buy local produce. They are generally really good about being pesticide free and organically grown.
I use a vegetable wash that is organic from the totally Granola kind of health food store you'd approve of. But you have to be careful with organic stuff. I read this fabulous article once that said in order to qualify as organic, it's not that hard. it's more of a marketing scheme. Also, they said that on those farms, sometimes there are other farms nearby that aren't organic and THEIR produce uses pesticides, etc... and so you're getting it that way, even though YOUR farm is organic.
And dont' even get me started on teh rain that nourishes the crops and all the crud it has in there.
I guess I'm back to my Guate days of just praying that the food doesnt' make me ill and strike me down!
And no, I don't buy organic.If I knew it was so totally and perfectly pure and clean I would.
What about meats? Do you know about steroid use in chicken, etc... That stuff is everywhere - poisons abound in our food . Read up on it on Google! it's amazing we're even alive.
Cherry
Post a Comment