Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The ULTIMATE chicken tacos

These are very tasty and remind me of the ones I love at Cheesecake factory. This is from my friend Kristen, only she makes hers with shredded beef. We like them best with fried corn tortillas--very restaurant-style! The lime juice makes them so yummy!
4-6 chicken breasts or 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
1 onion minced
1 whole garlic minced
1 tsp salt
2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 c tomato sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
black pepper
FRESH lime juice
cajun seasoning
1 can green chilis

Place chicken, 1/2 of garlic, 1/2 of onion and salt in crockpot with enough water to cover. Cook until done. Let chicken cool in broth and then drain. Reserve 1/2 c of broth. Using 2 forks shred the chicken and set aside.

Heat oil in large skillet over low heat. Cook minced onion and garlic until softened. Add chicken, tomato sauce, chilis, cumin, broth and lime juice to taste. Sprinkle cajun seasonings or cayenne pepper to taste and salt and pepper. Simmer about 5 minutes.

Squeeze more fresh lime juice over shredded chicken if needed. Heat a tsp oil in skillet and cook each side of corn tortillas until golden. Enjoy! ( so much better than using taco seasoning packet)

2 comments:

The Bingham Family said...

I love all your recipes! I think I will try this one this weekend. Can't wait!!!! :)

annie and jared said...

i need to try these, they look so yummy, i love anything mexican!